Give

i wanted to take time to write this evening as my week is quickly filling up with places to go and things to do...

i am happy to report that dan and i are going to asheville tomorrow evening for a birthday getaway, but will be back for our community volunteer service on saturday morning. we are going to the second harvest food bank in winston-salem to help sort canned food items for the hungry. tis' the season!

so... i was shopping at Target last thursday and ended up purchasing a chocolate fountain for the arts council - as i went to pay for my purchase, i pulled out my new card holder, that a precious friend gave to me. the cashier went crazy over my new gift.

i took note of her name - and made sure to write it down as i got into my car.

i rarely do this kind of thing - only because i tend to have quite a few meaningful intentions that fall through the cracks as i live my life.

this time, i actually followed through on what i thought would be a really cool act of random kindness.

i purchased a card holder for the cashier and took it to her on monday. i found that they sell these nifty little pieces of art at Steinmart.

yeah, i was a little nervous, i didn't want her to think that i was a weirdo - i just wanted to show her that sometimes people give for no reason at all - just maybe to show a little love to someone who needs it.

i waited in line, and for a split second i thought of just dropping the gift at the manager's station, but remembered that he told me to give it directly to the cashier myself...

oh well, i was up - it was my turn to purchase something - instead, i told her that she may not remember me, but i remembered that she loved my card holder - and i wanted to give one to her.

she came across the counter and hugged me so tightly that i thought i was going to bust!

she said, "how sweet!" "oh my goodness!" "i cannot believe you did this for me!"

yeah, i pretty much walked away feeling like i was floating on cloud 9 - it feels so good to make someone's day, for no real reason at all.

i gave her a Christmas card with my name and phone number in it - telling her to call me anytime, i will be there for her if she ever needs me.

2 comments:



Anonymous said...

So cool! I love it. As soon as life returns to "normal" I'm going to perform my own little random act of kindness. I'll keep you posted! Love ya!

Kevin Hopper said...

Hey!
That is great to make someones day!
You never know what door you have opened or hope that you have given!
Hope all is well with you guys. Praying for you! Luv Ya!